Browse this topic
Tobacco and vaping products
The shipping of tobacco and vaping products is controlled under several laws and regulations in Canada.
Tobacco products are non-mailable from one province or territory to another unless the:
- Shipment is between manufacturers or retailers
- Shipment is between two consumers
- Mailer is otherwise expressly permitted by federal law to mail the products from one province or territory to another
- The originator of the shipment is solely responsible to make sure all tobacco shipments meet the requirements of the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act
- Proof of Age is required for all tobacco product shipments unless the shipment is between:
- Manufacturers or retailers
- Two consumers
Vaping products, as defined by the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act are non-mailable unless the:
- Lithium battery in the device meets the requirements in ABCs of mailing for domestic ground/surface mailing of lithium batteries
- Product is shipped using a ground service (for example, Expedited Parcel™ or Regular Parcel™)
In addition to the requirements above, you can’t ship vaping products to air stage offices.
For more information, refer to the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act.
Preparing liquids for mailing
- To properly prepare liquids for mailing, refer to the information on packaging and wrapping materials in ABCs of mailing.
- You must know if the liquid cartridges you intend to mail are classified as dangerous goods. A limited quantity or excepted quantity acceptance program may be available to commercial customers. Please refer to Dangerous goods for more information.
- For more information, refer to the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act.
General tobacco and vaping information
- The originator of the shipment is solely responsible to make sure all shipments containing vaping products meet the requirements of the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act, as well as any other applicable legislation, including the Cannabis Act.
- Proof of Age is required for all vaping product shipments unless the shipment is:
- Between manufacturers or retailers
- Between two consumers
- A prescription as per the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act
- The Food and Drugs Act governs vaping products that make a health claim. These products need approval by Health Canada before you can sell, advertise, or import them commercially. To date, the FDA hasn't approved any of these products.